So you have an internet connection which you need to share with others.You might be knowing that the way to do that is through WiFi hotspot. While there are many third-party software giving you the ability to do so , they may not be free, may not share all possible types of connections(Broadband,Ethernet or maybe WiFi itself!) or do not give you the customizability you need.Fortunately Microsoft comes to our rescue.Without installing any other software it is possible to create a WiFi hotspot in very simple steps.
- Open notepad or any other text editor and type the following two lines:
netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=YourWiFiName key=YourPassword
netsh wlan start hostednetwork
- Save the file as “WiFi.bat” or any other name as you please but of “.bat” extension.
- Create a shortcut on the Desktop of your batch file.
- Go to Properties->Advanced and check the box labelled as “Run as Administrator”.
- While you are at it you may add an icon to the shortcut file as well.It looks cool and gives a professional feel.
- Simply run the file, there would be a blink of command prompt which should look something like this:
- This means that the hotspot has started but it still does not have internet access as you have not specified which existing connection it must share,you can confirm this by going to Network and Sharing Center which should look something like this:
If you wait for some time, it should go to something like this:
- In my case I have my internet access from Ethernet so I will need to share that with my WiFi hotspot,but for any other connection also the steps would remain same.
- Select Ethernet which is highlighted in the above image to open its settings.Click on the Properties tab then from the tabs on the top select Sharing.Check the box labelled “Allow other users to connect through the computer’s Internet connection” and then from the drop down menu select the same adapter which comes next to the name of your WiFi hotspot . In my case it is “Lenovo EasyPlus Hotspot”
- Having done that your Network and Sharing center should look something like this
- Voila! Your hotspot is created and ready to be used.Just connect it using the custom ssid(User ID) and key(Password) you created earlier.
- To use the hotspot next time just double click on the Shortcut, no need to do the sharing each and every time.
Thanks! Hope it helped.